Understanding WordPress Websites
WordPress, a renowned content management system, powers a significant portion of the web. But, is every WordPress website just a template? Not necessarily. WordPress offers both template-based and custom-built solutions so for someone to claim it is a template driven platform is simply not true. Gone are the old days where a website designer would build a website from the ground up coding in every facet and charging for every bolt in as a newly coded item, for most this way of doing things would take too long and be fraught with too many potential issues.
Why Choose WordPress Over Proprietary Systems?
Transitioning to the main debate, let’s delve into why WordPress stands out as the world’s most popular website platform.
1. Flexibility and Customisation
While many WordPress websites start with templates, the platform’s strength lies in its adaptability. Users can modify templates or build from scratch, ensuring a unique digital footprint. WordPress websites are build in blocks these days, think of a house build in bricks the end style from one house to another can be very different although they are built with the same bricks. A proprietary system meantime is like the 3 different houses from the 3 Little Pigs story, the problem therein is you don’t know which house you are getting out of the 3.
2. Vast Plugin Ecosystem
WordPress boasts an extensive range of plugins. This means enhanced functionality without the need for complex coding. So if you want to add in a particular facet to your WordPress website it wont break your bank, the tools are there in many cases off the shelf rather than them needing to be coded from the ground up and you having to pay for all that work and when an update is needed paying for it again.
3. Community Support
Being open-source, WordPress has a vast community. This ensures continuous updates, security patches, and user-generated solutions to common problems. More often than not the patch or fix is out before the problem hits unlike your proprietary system where you are probably in the hands of one individual to race against time to fix the bug, believe me we have been there in the days before WordPress and its not ideal…
Compared to proprietary systems, WordPress websites often emerge as the cost-effective choice. The availability of free themes and plugins further reduces development costs.
WordPress websites, combined with SEO plugins, makes optimizing your site for search engines straightforward.
From blogs to e-commerce sites, WordPress can handle varying web needs, making it a versatile choice for businesses of all types and sizes.
Big Brands Trusting WordPress
Several globally recognized brands have chosen WordPress for their digital presence. Here are some notable mentions:
- Sony Music: A global music brand showcasing its artists and latest news.
- PlayStation Blog: A hub for gaming news, game releases, and insider updates.
- TechCrunch: A leading tech website covering startups, gadgets, and more.
- Time Magazine: One of the longest-running American news platforms.
- Disney Books: The publishing wing of Disney.
- The Rolling Stones: The iconic band’s official website.
- Spotify Newsroom: The press site for the Spotify music streaming app.
- Wired: A magazine focusing on technology’s impact on various sectors.
- Microsoft News: Highlighting the latest happenings inside Microsoft.
- Usain Bolt: The personal website of the world’s fastest man.
- The New York Times Company: Behind one of the top newspapers globally.
- The White House: The official website of the U.S. administration.
- Jay-Z: A curated digital experience spanning various domains.
- Katy Perry: The official website of the renowned singer.
- Tom Cruise: The official website of the famous actor.
While WordPress offers template-based solutions, it’s far from being just a template system. Its flexibility, combined with its cost-effectiveness and vast community support, makes it a preferable choice over many proprietary systems. The trust placed in WordPress by numerous big-name brands further solidifies its position as the world’s leading web platform. We can help your business with its transition to WordPress or with your first website. Contact us today.